Kate Rissiek "Atomization/ Decomposition" 2 x cassette review


Kate Rissiek "Atomization/ Decomposition" 2 x cassette review 

Website: https://rusalka.org

You had me at gloomy industrial theremin. I stopped paying attention to music for about a decade and I def missed Kate's other project Rusalka. But hey, don't worry.... I'm back living like an idiot. Ok, so I read gloomy industrial theremin and had to hear it. Curiosity got me and I am glad I did. 

My knowledge of the theremin was Clara Rockmore. I didn't want corny sounding shit and holy fuck this rules. Atomization is a swirling, dour experience that teeters on the brink on total decay. I tend to think of cinematic pieces that pair with a noise release and this is the movie Threads to a tee. 

Decomposition sounds like a distant walkie talkie that is broadcasting warbling safety procedures for an already dead populace. Somewhat like the television broadcast on loop in the original Dawn of the Dead. There are no survivors. When Decomposition ends, it's abrupt. This cassette is a harrowing listen and while I could listen to it forever, it ends the crackling overtakes the upswell on its final surge and stops. Deep breath. Essential listening. 


Comments

Popular Posts