Whores Nation- Dearth LP (Carbonized Records) review

 


Whores Nation- Dearth LP (Carbonized Records) review

Bandcamp: https://whoresnation.bandcamp.com/album/dearth

I'm particular about grind. I can't hang with records of solely high-pitch vocals but they can be mixed in. Growls have to be deep. The drummer has to be sick. I can live with guitar only but the riffs have to be memorable. Guitar tone is a big deal. I cannot hang with joke grind. Occasional breakdowns are nice. Cover art... I can hang with the usual shit but outside the box vision is appreciated. 

The advancement of grind stopped at Discordance Axis, in my opinion. No one has touched their catalog. But you don't need to advance the genre to get my attention. You just have to follow my prerequisites. 

When I first heard Mephitism, I recognized that Whores Nation was good. It got some repeated listens and I felt the next record had potential to be a fucking monster. Great news, Dearth is unwieldily. Rooted in grind classics and unrelenting. The mix is massive. I don't always declare a grind album of the year but this is the top of the heap. Absolutely demands repeated listens. Ten out of ten.

Butthole Ohio was graced with Whores Nation in May. Motherfuck, they were tight. Stop on a dime and grind your mind in. Genghis Bong and I braved a monsoon and watched the place get positively leveled by an assault the likes of which Columbus hasn't seen in a long time. If you missed them to catch some psych band that night... I'm sorry but you fucked up.

Comments

Popular Posts