Thorn- Yawning Depths Review (Gurgling Gore)

 

Thorn- Yawning Depths Review (Gurgling Gore)


When I was in high school, I bought Eyehategod "dopesick" used on three separate occasions and it finally clicked with me. I fucking hated olives until I was probably 30. Coffee is fucking disgusting but I buy one once a year to see if my taste has worsened.

I almost didn't pick this up. I didn't like "Crawling Worship" after I heard it. I've revisited again and again to see if any of it would stick with me and I just haven't connected with it. I almost didn't give "Yawning Depths" a chance. Gurgling Gore has a solid track record with me so I had to give it a go. 

I keep listening to this album trying to identify what power tool the guitars most sound like but then it dawned on me. This is a metallic hardcore death metal record. Like an early 2000's metallic hardcore like Botch, early Cave-In, etc.  

How does this happen? A death metal band creates a record with a metallic hardcore sound. Which came first, the chicken or the egg. Fuck. Metal bands influenced a strain of hardcore bands that now influenced a death metal record. Mind you, this is not death core (I am pissed that I even typed that). There isn't a shred of that corny shit on this album. 

I'm going to keep listening to see if I can convince myself I'm wrong or right. I keep placing myself in a basement that smells like cat piss watching some obscure band from Indiana to put myself in the right frame of mind. The vocals on this are grosser than any of those bands though.

Comments

Popular Posts