Arelseum/ Recovery Center split CD (Orb Tapes)


 

Arelseum/ Recovery Center split CD (Orb Tapes)

https://orbtapes.bandcamp.com/album/arelseum-recovery-center-split

I was looking at the bandcamp page for this release and recognized Colin Marston's name but couldn't place it. 20 years ago I ordered the Behold the Arctopus 3" and a t-shirt with a cyborg turtle on it from him. Weird world. 

Listening to the first 4 minutes, I had to walk away to process it. Basically, when I'm stuck on something at work I have to walk for a minute and I'll process whatever I'm thinking of. Walking did the trick, Arelseum is the sound of Rai comic series from Valiant written by Matt Kindt and with illustrations from Clayton Crain. The album is rooted in futuristic sounds and ethereal swirling psychedelia (floating island of new Japan vs the old island below). The permeating static/ noise in the tracks reminds me of a blending of the dual Japan realities.  

Recovery Center has a driving undertone throughout "The Death Portal" that moves the listener closer to the edge. Flatlines bleed in and out. "Spine of Albion" reminds me of the low rumble of a call center or an old video arcade. Countless people talking or playing and snippets can be made out but nothing cohesive can be extrapolated. The vocals on "Qlippoth" had me very confused in a great way. I thought it was a cartoon my daughter was watching. The vocals are buried in the mix and that is a perfectly fine thing. Both projects delivery compelling listens that I recommend you check out. 

Comments

Popular Posts